Tuesday 3 February 2015

This Ones For Me

Hello.  Welcome.  Over at Unruly Paperarts they have a special link up for Inspire Your Heart With Art Day


Make something from the heart, something you love with no restrictions or limitations.  Yesterday I made some altered playing cards and I loved the colours on the yellow/red one so I decided to make something for me.  Something arty that I could use and look at every day.  


I started with this packaging material I have had for a while


I painted it white.  A bit of kraft showing through is good. 


I painted it yellow.  A bit of white and kraft showing through is OK


I watered down some red paint in this old tin can and splatted.  That definitely looks like someone's been murdered!!!  I spread the remaining paint over the inside and outside of the can, which is actually part of the project........



Whilst waiting for paint to dry I stamped Kaiserkraft Grafitti stamp all over a piece of white card.  Then I stamped it off, giving various shades of grey. 



I fussy cut some hearts


I edged them all with archival black and drew a line around the one with a sharpie.  Wasn't sure I liked this so I left the others with just the inked edges. 


I cut some other hearts from black script printed wrapping paper and edged them with white scribble.


I wanted some black and white tape, but my black paper tape is very narrow, so....  I took some blue painters tape, painted it black and then stamped Kaisercraft Arty in white paint.  I smudged the stamp at one point and you can see the blue peeking through.  Kinda like that.  


I wrapped my can with the blood splattered yellow waffle stuff and wrapped the tape top and bottom.


 

 I added a few bits of left over tape and then some hearts


More hearts
More hearts


And more.

I love my new tin for pens and things.  I looks a bit like a basket and the waffle stuff is quite spongy so it has a nice feel as well.  Much improvement over that old tin.  Hugz

Joining the fun at


8 comments:

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Fantastic alteration, Gail. Thanks for sharing process!!

Becca Cruger said...

WOW! So graphic and cool! It looks like you had a ton of fun creating it! Having it on your desk will just help inspire you more and more.

ddazzled71 said...

Gail this is such a wonderful transformation of your tin and inspired upcycling project .....I would love this one my desk the colors are so striking and you can totally see this was made from the heart. Thanks so much for joining us at Unruly PaperArts for our Inspire Your Heart with Art Event. Danie xx

Kay Wallace said...

You have certainly upcycled your tin can, Gail! You couldn't have picked two more energizing colors, and I love how this project turned out. You might just have inspired me today!!

massofhair said...

WOW what a transformation Gail, great recycling project :-) xxx

MsMad said...

always great to take a plain tin that you hold pencils in and give it some style.
Barbara Bird / Gecko Galz DT
mdstrwbery.blogspot.com

Bibi Lindahl said...

Cool! Love that wrapping material you have used, never seen anything like that. Great transformation! Thank you for the tape idea - I've never thought of painting blue tape and then stamp on it. Looks fun!! I agree with you, the blue showing through is nice.
xox

The Colour Press said...

What a transformation. Thanks for sharing ur v interesting process too.