Saturday 16 March 2013

Where Did I Put My Ding Dong Bird

Hello Nomad Followers and Friends.  I read today that if in doubt go for it.  Excellent advice.  So the fingers are inky again as I have been having a fun and messy time.  Over at PaperArtsy this week Helen Chilton has been showing some wonderful paint techniques.  I was particularly intrigued when she was using the crackly tissue paper and stamped on the back to reverse the image.  Ah ha.  Was looking for ways to reverse stamped images the other day.  So I tracked down my Ding Dong Bird.  Easier said than done!!  The last tidy up was too long ago and there are way to many piles of partly finished ideas and stash lying around.  Maybe I should join one of those sites where you photograph your desk and make everyone breathe a sigh of relief because despite what your significant other says you aren't the only one with a substantial stash and not enough space.   Oop's distracted again.  Back to the craft...


So I stamped the bird from PaperArtsy Ding and Dong SIDD5 onto some crackly tissue paper.  When I turned it over, oh joy, almost as clear that side as well.  Then I applied Distress Inks Salty Ocean, Tattered Shutters, Mowed Lawn and Scattered Straw.  I spritzed with water and my Memento Black I had used to stamp my bird bled!!!  Yelp!!  OK, start again, Distress inks first, spritz, let it dry, stamp Ding Dong Bird.  Glorious.  Helen has been showing some tricks so I painted the back of my tissue paper with white acrylic to make the colours stand out and also to stop any background showing through and muddying my colours.  


Now at this point those of you who are paying attention are going to say 'hang on a minute, you said you were going to reverse the image but Ding Dong Bird always faces that way....'.  How right you are.  In my excitement I painted the acrylic on the back of my tissue instead of the front so you will have to take my word that everything showed through, or just give it a go yourself.  Loads of fun. 


I decided to use my tissue loveliness on a 15x15cm canvas I bought the other day.  I painted it with white acrylic and then while it was still damp splashed on some cobalt blue and deep cobalt violet and some more white.  An acrylic frenzy.  Then I applied the tissue paper and blended the edges with some more acrylic.  I picked three metal embellishments from Korthobby.  One was silver and the other two bronze but I applied some black acrylic paint to give a distressed/antique look.  I stamped the tick-tock from SIDD5 and then felt it needed a few more and well.......  I also added the arrow stamp from the same set.  Some Prima leaves, a flower from the pound shop and edged with lace.  


I have set the canvas inside a deep frame backed with black card.  The frame is 24cm square so I will be able to join in with the Creative Craft World mini kit challenge as well as a few others.  I think it might be art lovey.  

Entering this messy wonder for
PaperArtsy
Crafty-emblies Altered Art Challenge - Wings
Korthobbyutfordring - Mars 3x3 (3 metal pieces, 3 stamps, bird, arrow, tick-tock, 3 embelishments, flower, leaves, lace)
Ranger Ink - Seasonal Palette March
Creative Craft World - Mini Kit Challenge Feb/Mar (frame size 24x24cm)



Hope you all have a great weekend.   Thanks for dropping by.  Your comments are sprinkles of joy.  Take care, keep warm, be crafty.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great canvas! x

Craftyfield said...

ROTFL... I did the opposite with my tissue and reversed it by accident ! It wouldnt be so bad if a)the stamp had no script and b)I hadn't publicly it admitted already... Your canvas is lovely and I love the colours for the bird image.

MiniOwner said...

How gorgeous is that?! I love the rich colours especially. Thanks for joining in with us at CCW.
Sue x

Kay Wallace said...

I absolutely love your bird, Gail! And I love that he is "empty" so that your background colors become the colors of his fathers! Not matter how you go there, it is pure genius in the end! Love piece of art!

Sylvia said...

Great canvass, lovely background colours, embellishments and lace round the edge.

Sylv xx

May Grethe said...

Så stilig bidrag fra deg!
Tusen takk for at du deltar i Marsutfordringen 3x3 hos Korthobby's Utfordringsblogg.
Klem fra May Grethe

Unknown said...

So bright and beautiful. Thanks for joining in and telling us your technique at Creative Craft World. x