Saturday 19 October 2013

And Then There Were Three

Hello.  Welcome.  A special hellooo to Viera.  Welcome to the following.  Well, I finally got around to trying a technique I saw ages ago and though it looked interesting, if a little scary.  Basically you stick lots of bits of this and that on a canvas or card and then paint the whole thing black.  Gosh, it seems a little extreme but the effect is a total wow.  I recommend giving this a try.  It's also a great way to use up your scraps.....



I started with a piece of corrugated card that used to be packaging and ripped it in various places to expose some corrugations.  Then I stuck lots of different die cut bits and pieces on it.  Dies used on the background were all from Cheery Lynn: Hearts n' Gears, Spider Web Mesh Border, Pocket Watch, Snowflake 2, English Tea Party Doily and Spring Flower Burst Doily.  



So the scary part.  Paint it all black and.....Wow!  The texture pops.  The paint looks matt on the flat areas and glossy on the slopes of the corrugations.  Fantastic.  I didn't take a picture of the next part but I added some orange paint and then wiped the surface with a paper towel to take most away, just leaving it in the negative texture.



I cut Cheery Lynn Spider Web Border in orange and put one up each side.  I cut my owls using the brand new Cheery Lynn die Owl with Gears.  Aren't they just the cutest steampunk style ever.  These were only released a few days ago but I just had to have them.  There are both sizes in the set.  I cut them from orange patterned paper and then backed them with black glitter card.  The nest is ripped orange glitter paper.



The orange and black rose buds were made using a bead and a flower paper punch and were inspired by Irina's tutorial



I've put a card frame around my collage until I can get a proper frame.

My collage is joining the fun at
Cheery Lynn Designs Challenge 102 - Black and Orange
Papirdokkene Utfordring 52 - Orange
Die Cut Divas - Animals and Autumn
Papertake Weekly - Happy Halloween Hues

Thanks for dropping by.  Leave a little love and you might be lucky

7 comments:

shulsart said...

Oh, what a great background idea and love the cluster of owls. Too cute! Good luck and thanks for joining in on the fun at Cheery Lynn Designs challenge.

Rhonda Van Ginkel said...

I absolutely LOVE the texture that you've created with your collage! The gear owl is a perfect addition here too with those roses! Really fun!!!

Thank you so much for joining us for the challenge over at Cheery Lynn Designs this week!

Arlene said...

I would have never thought of doing this, but I LOVE it!

So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas!

Kay Wallace said...

This is just an amazing technique, Gail! I think I would have stopped at the black. Adding the orange was so brave, the wiping it away was even more brave! I love the end result and will make a beautiful Halloween decoration for your home!

Dawn T said...

Fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas.

Unknown said...

Great Card!! Thanks for playing with the Die Cut Diva's!

Eva Marie said...

wow...a true art ♥
Thank you for sharing how you made this, it's so greate ♥
Thanks for playing at Papirdokkene.
xx